Monday, July 8, 2013

Sultry, and not the good kind


Did anyone besides me almost melt this past weekend? I live in the Northeast of USA, just about as north and east as you can get before hitting Canada, and it felt like the tropics. 

The worst part, in my opinion, was that the air   did   not   move. The Egyptians were on to something when they used large fans for cooling pharaohs and other mucky-mucks. As were all other cultures who made use of fans.

Is there a culture that doesn’t/didn’t use fans? Either hand-held or fixed?

If the air moves, you feel cooler. I’m sure there’s a physics lesson in there. I didn’t take physics in high school or college, so I’m stymied. Be that as it may, moving air is more pleasant than still air. I could live without air conditioning, but I’d suffer terribly without a fan. So, who else melted last weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment