Monday, December 5, 2011

Cookies!


‘Tis the season to get fatter, fa la la.

I love the holidays. My tummy loves the holidays. Any hope of sticking to a sensible diet hates the holidays. But since it’s only one month of the year, plus or minus a few weeks, I figure I’m entitled.

I baked cookies today. These pecan fingers are a staple on my holiday cookie plate. I got the recipe from my mother-in-law, Bea, along with her recipe for sugar cookies. Which I also made today. The third batch of cookies was a completely new recipe, one I taste-tested for a fellow author. Scrumptious oatmeal/raisin. Big and soft. Way too good. I may have to eat one right now.

Here’s the recipe for the Pecan Fingers. Use with caution. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Also, I need to find a better camera.

Pecan Fingers

1 cup butter, softened

¼ cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon water

2 cups flour

¼ teaspoon salt

2 cups pecans, finely ground

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Stir in water. Add flour, salt and pecans, mix well. Chill for one hour.

Preheat oven to 250. Form a tablespoon of dough into a log the size of your finger. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake for one hour. Roll in powdered sugar while still warm.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, those look good. I could have used one (or three) with my after supper tea!

    I always bake shortbread - cornstarch box recipe) and then add one other (usually chocolate) and that's all for the simple reason that The Husband and I seem to be the only one's eating them. You've got the boys to help with the 'clean up'!

    BTW - looking forward to a picture of the tree ('cause I so thought the one you posted was yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look good! Thanks for the recipe. Will have to make them this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Janet, they are perfect with a cup of tea. Or coffee. Or hot cocoa. Or milk. A nice fruity Port is also yummy, balances the nuttiness.

    The shortbread recipe I use comes from Mom, who got it from my dad's mom. I cut the cookies into stars or trees and sprinkle on red or green sugar. They're my brother's favorite cookie so I usually take some home with me for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annette! They are delicious. I have to reiterate the warning about their addictive properties. I make the cookies a two-bite size, and they are so tender and tasty, two bites just aren't enough.

    ReplyDelete