Thursday, January 26, 2012

Gourmet chicken


A couple days ago I made Sloppy Joes using this recipe. I must say, they were scrumptious! The only change I made to the recipe was using red bell peppers instead of green, which don't agree with my tummy.

Anyway, after browning the meat I was left with about a cup of drippings (a combination of meat juice and fat).

I hate to let anything go to waste.

But really, I hate trying to figure out how to dispose of drippings. Pouring it into the trash is kind of messy and gross. Pouring it down the drain is asking for trouble of the expensive plumber variety. Pouring it onto the compost pile is asking for trouble of the destructive raccoon variety.

On these cold winter days, I often make porridge for the hens. Stop laughing! Today I used the drippings plus a bit of water, 1/2 cup of oatmeal, and stirred in some leftover mashed potatoes that had been in the fridge for a few days/weeks.

Okay, yes, the porridge did smell good as I mixed it up, but I didn't taste it. I may be a good "hen mother" but I draw the line at sampling their food.




2 comments:

  1. Cute post, Grace! You are a good 'mother hen'! And I, too, hate to waste - but have no hens. I do have a sweet dog & independent cat. (DH won't allow me to give them table scraps or anything of the like.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, we don't give scraps to our cats, either. But I will confess to slipping them the odd bit of ham when I'm building a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete